The beginning of winter officially started on December 21st and along with securing your personal comfort level, making a difference to the environment and saving you $$$ on your heating bill, it’s also important to secure your home or business against burglary.
There are lots of eco-friendly options to winterize your home or business. For starters:
- Seal up gaps and cracks that let the cold air in.
- Check doors, windows, floor drains, mail slots, electrical outlets, attic entries, foundation cracks and chimneys.
- Air filters should be changed frequently in your central heating and cooling system. A clean air filter will reduce dust and reduce the amount of energy it takes for your heater to work-saving you $$$.
- Replace windows if they are old. Double or triple pane windows work fantastically. However, this can be costly, so as an alternative install clear plastic or storm windows over your existing glass.
- Benefit from solar energy by letting the sun shine in. Leave your curtains and blinds open during the day and close them at night. Rooms will soak day heat and release it at night.
- Insulation is cost effective. The attic should have at least 12 inches of insulation. Wrap external hot water pipes with insulating tape.
- Check around the house to make sure there are no flammable substances near your furnace.
Space heaters are great for keeping warm and dual electric/oil heaters are efficient and will reduce your bill. Honeywell has personal heaters and whole room heaters that are energy savers, and intuitive design from a brand you can trust. But, there are some safety facts to keep in mind when using any type of space heater:
• Do not use a space heater to hang wet items to dry off like mittens and scarfs.
• Don’t put your space heater too close to your bed, curtains, or furniture.
• Shut them off when you\’re not using them, and never leave them unattended.
Protect your family from carbon monoxide by keeping generators, grill and camp stoves out of the house, basement and garage. Generators should be placed at least 20 feet from your home or business. Leave your home or business, without delay, if the CO detector sounds and call 911. One of the conveniences of having a monitored CO detector is that if you are away from the house, perhaps on vacation or your one of the snowbird’s that take off to Florida every year, a message will be sent directly to the monitoring station. The same for fire or flood.
Install a programmable thermostat.These smart devices are energy efficient because they can be pre-programmed to set temperatures for different situations and seasons. For instance, if you are going to be away working for the day or away for the weekend you can program thermostat settings to automatically turn down during these times and, as such, you can pre-program the thermostat to turn back on before you get home, so it\’s warm and cozy. Install a light timer to turn on or off at a certain time.
Set-up Timed Light Switches. Set your timers to come on shortly after dusk so that your home looks occupied and remember to adjust the timers as the days get shorter during winter and then after December 21st we start to get longer days again.
Install a security system. You can feel safe knowing your home is protected and many security devices also offer pre-programming of thermostat’s and lights. For instance, you can control your lights from any remote location and you can program scenes and schedules for security (to give you that lived-in look) and ambiance. There are many devices such as the Tuxedo Touch, LYNX Touch 7000 or LYNX Touch 5200 you can use to control and automate your thermostats, garage doors, lights, locks, shades, water valves and more.
OTHER WAYS TO AVOID BURGLARY ATTEMPTS:
• Shovel your pathway/driveway as an un-shoveled path or driveway signal to perpetrator’s that nobody is home. If you’re going to be away, whether it be for a short or long period of time, consider hiring someone to shovel your walkway and driveway.
• Wireless theft protection sensors can be affixed to any valuable in your home, and alert you when an attempt is made to move or disturb the object. Great for flat screen TVs, artwork, computers, antiques and more.
For more information about the security products listed above please contact Alarmtech at 519-434-3996 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To request a personal consultation, please use this form and we will contact you to arrange a no-cost, no-obligation, personal on-site consultation and written quote.